
A national monument, located in the historic center of the city of Porto, classified as World Heritage by UNESCO, the Palácio da Bolsa built by the Porto Commercial Association on the ruins of the Convento de S. Francisco has become, par excellence, Porto´s living room, receiving the most distinguished visitors, including monarchs, Presidents of the Republic and ministers of almost all countries, transforming this building into the most visited monument in the North of the Country.
Rua de Ferreira Borges,
4050-253 Porto
T.: +351 22339 9000

Luís I bridge was built in 1886 by Eiffel´s disciple, Theophile Seyrig. With two floors and an impressive iron arch, it connects the part of Porto with its neighbor Vila Nova de Gaia, where the famous Porto wine cellars are located. On the upper part of the bridge, there is the metro, while on the lower part there are cars and pedestrian walkways on both floors. From the top floor there are impressive views of the Douro, as well as a beautiful view of the river. At the bottom there is a quiet cafe with a terrace right by the river where you can enjoy some amazing views and sunsets.

Genuine baroque work by Nicolau Nasoni, an ex-libris monument of the city of Porto.
The Church of Clérigos (Ecclesiastics) is a genuine baroque masterpiece dating from the mid-18th century. It was designed by Nicolau Nasoni, an architect of Italian origin. He stamped his mark on many monuments around Oporto and the north of Portugal. Nasoni, on his request, was buried here in a small chapel with its gateway at the same level as the top of the double bolster stairway.
Rua dos Clérigos,
4050-204 Porto

The Carmo and Carmelitas are twin churches at the corner of Praça de Carlos Alberto and Rua do Carmo. Igreja do Carmo has an azulejo-covered exterior with the church done in the rococo style. The church was built between 1756 and 1768. The azulejos were added in 1912 and were made locally in Vila Nova de Gaia. The Igreja do Carmo stands next door to the Igreja dos Carmelitas, part of a 17th century convent. The two churches are separated by a very narrow (1m wide) house that was inhabited until the 1980´s. The house was built so that the two churches would not share a common wall and to prevent any relations between the nuns of Igreja dos Carmelitas and the monks of Igreja do Carmo.
Admission: free for the church; fee to enter the museum, catacombs and Casa Escondida
Rua do Carmo
4050-164 Porto

The S. Francisco church in Praça Infante Dom Henrique has an austere Gothic front but within is a wealth of Baroque features. The main façade has a large rose window done in the Gothic style. But it is the interior of the church which has the most breath-taking features with several ornate chapels done in elaborate gilded woodwork and an altarpiece by Filipe da Silva and António Gomes. It represents a family tree of Jesus with twelve kings of Judah connected by branches of a tree to the recumbent body of Jesse.
Rua do Infante D.Henrique,
4050-297 Porto

This Romanesque style construction began in the twelfth century. Several changes up until the twentieth century did not quite manage to lessen its somewhat primitive austerity. The sacristy, cloister and the beautiful blue (azulejo) tiles that cover its galleries, as well as the chapel, date from the Gothic period. A beautiful 13th century rosace stands out on the west front. The paintings by Nasoni, the carved gilded wood altarpiece and the silver altar of the Blessed Sacrament are all noteworthy. Mass is still celebrated there but if it is tranquility which you seek, do not miss the cloister.
Terreiro da Sé
4050-573 Porto
T.: +351 222 059 028

The Clérigos church (Igreja dos Clérigos) is the church in front of its more famous bell tower, the 75m-high Torre dos Clérigos, in central Porto. Both tower and church were designed by the prolific Italian architect, Nicolau Nasoni (1691-1773), who was so active in the city and other parts of northern Portugal during the 18th century.
Rua dos Clérigos,
4050-204 Porto

The church of Congregados (Igreja de Santo Antonio dos Congregados) stands just to the north of Sao Bento Station in Praça de Almeida Garrett in the old city area of Porto. Igreja dos Congregados was built in 1703 on the site of a previous chapel. Restoration work on the church was done in the 19th century and the classic blue and white azulejos tiles by Jorge Colaço were added in the 20th century and depict scenes from the life of Saint Anthony.
Rua de Sá da Bandeira 11,
4000-433 Porto